Recently, I bought this dress at Ross for $8.99. (I love Ross.) It was a little short, but I figured for $8.99, it was worth the time it'd take to alter it.
Now, besides some simple hemming, I haven't done much sewing since I was a teenager (which means I haven't sewn in a lot of years). With the help of my friend, Valerie, I picked out some fabrics, and then set about trying to add a little to the dress on my own (with only occasional reference to Google). I started by making some yo-yo/button flowers (this is where Google came in) and pinning them on to try to give some unity to the dress since I was going to repeat the purple fabric . . .
. . . in the form of a ruffle like this:
And, here you have the finished product:
It took a good amount of time since I do all my sewing by hand, and I didn't have much time this week to work on it. I finished up the last of the stitching today while watching a couple episodes from Season 1 of Lark Rise to Candleford (which I'd never seen before, but am quite enjoying--thanks, Katie!). It reminded me of all the hand sewing I used to do while watching Little House on the Prairie in my younger years. (Yes, there may have been a time in my life when I wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder. And, come to think of it, that might be half the appeal of hand sewing for me . . .)
Anyways, the dress is done. And . . . it's a little different than I pictured, so I'm trying to decide if I like it.
It looks a little too homemade to me. But, hey, that's hip right now, isn't it? Etsy.com and such.
Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment