Monday, January 24, 2011

A lie

Says motivational speaker Denis Waitley,

“Procrastination is the fear of success. People procrastinate because they are afraid of the success that they know will result if they move ahead now. Because success is heavy, carries a responsibility with it, it is much easier to procrastinate and live on the 'someday I’ll' philosophy.”

Denis Waitley, I disagree.

Procrastination is not the fear of success: it is the fear of failure. It might also be the fear of unpleasant hard work. But it is not the fear of success. I do not procrastinate writing seminar papers and chunks of my thesis because I'm thinking, "Man, if I move ahead on this now, I will succeed and dazzle my professor, and, oh, wouldn't that be frightening?"

No, no, Denis.

I procrastinate because I'm thinking, "If I write this now and turn in the ideas currently floating around in my head, my professor will finally know that I'm a phony who has nothing really interesting to say. So, rather than writing a flop, I'll blog or check my email."

Because, really, who can fail at checking email?

2 comments:

Katie E. said...

It sounds like we are experiencing similiar writing processes. For me, tonight saw much of the facebooking, some gchatting, a little reading, too much typing up quotes, and the furthering of a few ideas, but no actual writing. Sigh.

Good luck. I don't think you're a fraud, so Grant won't either ;) (and maybe Dr. Fox won't think me a fraud? Maybe?).

Trevor said...

Amen, sister. Why are so many motivational speakers full of so much crock? Counter-intuitive does not equal profound.