Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Conundrum

Here's a moral conundrum for you all to ponder:

What would you do if a) you were being driven crazy by a fly who took up residence in your house two days ago and is especially attracted to the scent of your shampoo (and therefore flies around your head constantly), but b) you are afraid to KILL anything because killing things, even little things like flies, typically leaves you feeling guilty and traumatized for days on end?

And, let's say, you've already attempted to get it to just fly out of your front door.

Of course, this is a purely hypothetical question, not based on a real situation, and meant only to provoke thoughtful discussion. Let me know what you conclude.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Sometimes death is just inevitable...

(Not meant to be as morbid as it sounds.)

If you state your demands and allow a reasonable amount of time for the intruder to meet them, and said intruder (the fly) fails to do so, I think you should preemptively absolve yourself of feeling guilt and just do the dirty deed.

So, in short: make a deal with the fly. If he fails to hold up his end, give 'im a good swat that'll make it swift and painless.

xister said...

Kill it. I had an interesting conversation today with someone where I said that it'd be better to die now than in 10 years when you are leaving kids behind. He responded that he planned to have a lot of happiness between now and then that he didn't want to forfeit. I responded that his concern assumes that there is no happiness after death.

But there is, which is why you should kill the fly.

Valerie said...

Leave the dirty task to someone else. Say a visiting teacher or home teacher. That's what they're for, right?

Christy said...

Lets say, hypothetically, it flew in to the microwave. This would not solve your problem because flies can be nuked for at least 3 or 4 minutes and still survive. Not that I would know myself... I've only heard of such serendipitous experiments taking place when the fly choose for himself to go into the box which radiates waves of micros (what is a microwave anyways?).