Today, I read this:
"Thinking, which is a method of reconstructing experience, treats observation of facts, on the other hand, as the indispensable step of defining the problem, of locating the trouble, of forcing home a definite, instead of a merely vague emotional, sense of what the difficulty is and where it lies. It is not aimless, random, miscellaneous, but purposeful, specific and limited by the character of the trouble undergone. The purpose is so to clarify the disturbed and confused situation that reasonable ways of dealing with it may be suggested."
--John Dewey, Reconstruction in Philosophy, pg. 141
Yes, I've been reading for my thesis. Yes, I'm enjoying pragmatism.
AND, next time someone tells me I'm over analyzing, I'm just going to say that I'm simply trying to "clarify the disturbed and confused situation that reasonable ways of dealing with it may be suggested."
Just sayin'.
Thank you, John Dewey.
2 comments:
That is a pretty good description. So according to this man thinking's purpose is to make order of chaos?
I like the way you think. Ah ha ha ha. Okay, I'm not very funny. But I enjoy reading your writing and I miss the frequent updates that you posted on here during the summer. :)
Post a Comment